Research Assistant | PhD Student
University of Applied Sciences Münster
Department of Social Work
Phone: +49 251 83 65767
Felix Nickel has been working with us since October 2019 and is part of the DFG-project “Digital Alienation and appropriation of work: Experiences of alienation in digital service work”. He is a research associate at the Department of Social Work at University of Applied Sciences Münster. Beforehand he worked at the Institute of Sociology, research unit “Sociology of Work” of Goethe-University Frankfurt (Main).
Felix obtained his B.A. in Political Science from Freie Universität Berlin and is a graduate of the international Master program “Global Political Economy” at Universität Kassel. In his master thesis he investigated Serbian online worker’s navigation between Autonomy and Control with a focus on Search-Engine Optimization (SEO) workers. Starting from (post)operaist Immaterial Labour thesis and the Labour Process Debate he looked into coping strategies and resistance of these precarious workers.
Besides his studies Felix was active as a labour and union activist in the global garment industry and health sector. He also worked as a tutor for the Global Labour University and the department of Political Theory at Universität Kassel.
- Sociology of Work (with a focus on Digital Labour and Labour Process Theory)
- (Global) Labour Studies
- Theories of (Digital) Capitalism
- Trade Unions and Labour Struggles
- Hardering, Friedericke/ Mirela Ivanova/ Felix Nickel/ Helene Thaa (2021): Inequalities, Work Alienation and Appropriation in the Digital World of Work. In: Kupfer, Antonia (ed.), Work Appropriation and Social Inequality, Wilmington: Vernon Press, S. 71-92.
- Nickel, Felix (2017). Book Review: Erik Olin Wright – Understanding Class. In: Global Labour Journal, 8(2), S. 162-164 (peer-reviewed).
- Ebenau, Matthias and Felix Nickel (2016). Gewerkschaftliche Krise und Erneuerung: Labour Revitalisation Studies als globale Konversation. In: PERIPHERIE, 36(2) (Nr. 142-143), S. 158-181 (peer-reviewed).
- Rank Page One or Perish: Labour and Value in Search-Engine Optimization (with Mirela Ivanova). Presentation as part of the “Special Stream: Value and Labour Process Theory – revisited”, International Labour Process Conference 2021. 13. April 2021, London (online).
- Text production for the marketing machine: Autonomy and Control in the work-lifes of Serbien Search-Engine Optimizers (in German). Presentation for the workshop of the Working Group “Labour Struggles” of the “Association for Critical Social Research (AkG)”, as part of the AkG Conference 2020, March 6, 2020, University of Kassel (Germany).
- Precarity behind Google’s Search Results: Serbian Search-Engine Optimizers Navigating Autonomy and Control in their Work-Life. Presentation at the Annual Conference of the Institute for Social Movement Studies (IPB): “Hashtags, Tweets, Protest: Social Movements in the Digital Age”. November 15, 2019 at Weizenbaum-Institute for the Networked Society, Berlin.